You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Saturday, November 29, 2008

What goes with snow


When I got home to my Read 2nd room today the snow was softly falling down. I didn't have any desire to unpack my 4 days worth of clothing so I sat on my bed and watched the snow fall. It is strange to me that each flake is absolutely different from the next with an infinite number of possibilities.

When we are young and we hear the storied about elfs whose job it is to cut snowflakes all year long we are mesmerized. Now that I am older and I understand the process of crystallization that occurs way up in the stratosphere I am still in awe to think that our earth, our environment can create something as delicate as snow. The process that causes them to break and crystallize is beautiful in itself, even if it leaves out the elfs with their magic scissors and creativity.

When it is cold and the snow is falling, what else would one want in the world than hot chocolate. I recently realized that I can make homemade vegan hot chocolate in my room. It takes a bit of innovative thinking, but it works.

The process: I took one chunk of 100% coco baking square and dropped it into a glass jar. Mean while I have put water into my hot water cooker and turned it on. About a week ago I made homemade rice milk (for another post) so I poured rice milk into the jar over the still solid baking square.


Then I put this jar into the middle of my hot water cooker. It looked liked this.
After it began to heat up I stirred it some. Then I let it heat all the way through before stirring it again and taking it out of the hot water. The water around the jar was boiling but because I don't like to wait for things to cool down, I didn't bring the contents of the jar to a boil.

and bam! I had vegan hot chocolate in my dorm room in a matter of minutes with out a huge amount of clean up. Just one jar!
Time to enjoy winter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your post makes me miss college (some things at least)