You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Cooking with Tofu


My Vegan thought of the day: I like yellow food. Curry, mustard, paprika, turmeric all create beautiful shades of yellow when mixed into light food items and I love each of the flavors that the spices bring to my cooking.

I was sitting in my kitchen hungry as usual. The plan was to bake bread, but I had decided to make a dark sourdough type so I made my starter and it will be two days until I can use it. A couple of days ago I learned how to make mustard and I have been craving it ever since, so I decided what I made today would have mustard in it.
Taking a bowl from my cupboard I took already made yellow mustard and honey (not vegan I know but I still eat it as part of my vegan diet as long as it is local, which ours is) To that I added Spanish paprika, ground turmeric, cumin, and garlic flakes. To thin out this mixture I added a bit of olive oil and coconut milk, something I should always have on hand! This created a nice flavor that I crumbled drained tofu into and combined well. At this point I decided to cut some of my mums cilantro from her herb box and add it to tofu.

As that soaked up the flavors I cooked about a cup of elbow pasta. After draining that I added rosemary, Italian seasonings, and a tablespoon of margarine. One this was mixed I combined the tofu and the pasta and placed it into a baking dish.

Since my mum keeps garden tomatoes frozen and we had thawed some yesterday I was able to put really red juicy tomatoes onto the top of my mixture. From there I baked it at 375 for 15(ish) minutes. Just enough to warm it through and to bake down the tomatoes a little.

I ate it with a small salad and some celery, and still had enough left for lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

Nym said...

so, the first comedian friday night was speaking to you huh ? The vegan girl in the audience =P

I'm vegetarian, although I eat fish ... I just love cheese too much to be vegan =P