You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Laughing Zen

Feeling with all of your heart is part of the mindfulness of Buddhism. Laughing opens up a place in your heart that allows you to connect with yourself and others. My meditation and yoga have been brining me to laugh lately. And not only laugh but also sing at the top of my lungs. Truth is buried deep within oneself and I believe that laughing brings me closer to reality and the truth of reality, instead of being trapped within myself all of the time.

Although I do not follow the laughing Buddha as a Zen practitioner that form of the Buddha’s enlightenment is also very important. The laughing Buddha is a happy uplifting spirit that occurred almost directly before the enlightenment of the Buddha. Even in dying the Buddha was smiling, because he had full liberation from the world and the cycle.

Chanting during meditation and yoga is important to the opening of the spirit to enlightenment. I have been doing modern reading into different practices, and members of some communities are chanting song lyrics as part of normal practice. At first I thought this was strange, but then I thought that I don’t necessarily understand the chants that I use so what would be the difference if I was still opening myself up. Hence, I now chant love songs to myself as a regular practice my favorite chants include Stephen Speaks lyrics.

When I am not meditating and I hear a song that I have made into a chant, my spirits are uplifted and I am able to smile and even laugh at myself. My heart opens up and warmth spills out of me. I think taking myself back into reality has been the most influential step in my practice this far. I feel more complete and able to confront to world where I work and live. I am happy and laughing, like the Buddha.

Inspiration: http://www.youtube.com/user/sadienardini
Bon Jovi Chant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p54h6d_LYSo
OM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUl-guIG0uU

No comments: