You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Beets and such


I'd missed cooking for myself. Friday night and Saturday morning I found myself in Boulder with a few Grinnellians and no place to sleep. We figured things out and ended up in a spare room of a big empty house. On Saturday morning we went to the Boulder farmer's market. As if I hadn't already fallen in love with the culture of the city I meet a million cute farmers who I wanted to buy goods from. I ended up buying beets and carrots from a couple who had dreadlocks, a baby, and an amazing painted sign.

the day also contained a trip to the contemporary art museum which was conveniently in the middle of the farmers market. I was even more inspired to do art after going into the building. The support a lot of local artist, as well as brining in artist from outside of the city and state. It was incredible.

To continue my story though, Saturday evening I was cooking for myself. I make beet greens, roasted beets, roasted garlic, sautéed tomatoes, and eggs over-easy. I ate all of this on chunks of bread also bought at the farmers market. It all tasted so good, fresh, and healthy. Unlike the camp food that sits in my stomach, and makes me feel less than great about myself.

I've re-decided to work on veganism again. It's important to me and makes me feel better. I want only to be healthy and I think I am going to be able to keep myself healthy with a vegan diet. Of course I can't do this while still at camp.

I will add that I've given up caffeine, and even in a coffee shop today I was able to stick to my soy coca. I also haven't smoked a cigarette in over a month and a half. Which I will gladly say, means I am done with them. I am now working on fried foods. I don't think I can give up pan fried things, like my eggs. But deep fat fried things haven't entered my body in a long time. I can't tell you how long because I haven't been keeping track but I can almost say it's probably been over a month. Although I'm not sure when my last order of french fries was. I know it's been since I came to camp. I really am working on a balanced and healthy diet. I think it is showing too.

No comments: