You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Saturday, September 12, 2009

stress be gone

Today I went for a swim. I am really out of shape and I was actually intimidated by the space. Since my heart wasn't 'strong' enough for physical activity since my second semester at Grinnell I've been missing the pool.

Today the first time in a year and a half that I got into the water and started swimming, I was scared. I was scared of the water and my body and of what to do.

I stayed in the water for 30 minutes and swam back and forth, and back and forth. Mostly doing butterfly and simple backstroking. I forgot the power that swiming has over my mental state. I hav been very calm today even when faces with situations that would normally bring me to tears, or make me very uncomfortable.

Maybe swimming is the key to my social anxiety and stress load.
Maybe I will get my body back into shape as well.

No comments: