You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Sunday, November 22, 2009

My daily vitamins

I have had some serious health concerns in my life, and in the past few years. Each time I go to the doctor for something I think is mild he wants to medicate me. I have learned to say 'no' to the over medicated passes of pills from my doctor, but I can not hid the fact that I am sick.

My skin has been showing it the most in the last few weeks, and I have been bruising a lot more than normal. I am going to the doctor on Tuesday to have my stiff and bruising joints checked out. I fear that I have artrites, and I hope that my joint inflammation is just a result of anxiety.

Non the less I take 11 pills daily to keep myself going.
Morning: 1 Flaxseed oil, 1 Calcium, 1 Saint John's Wort
Noon: 1 Mulit-V, 1 B-complex
3pm: 1 flaxseed oil, 1 Saint John's Wort
Evening: 1 Calcium, 1 magnesium
Bed time: 1flaseed oil, 1 Saint John's Wort

They all do different things for me, and help because I can't get everything I need out of my ever worsening diet. The Flaxseed is for heart health and is a substitute for Omega-3 and Fish oil, which I very clearly can not have. The Saint John's Wort is an anxiety helper, and mood regulator. It is suppose to help my highs and lows dealing with anxiety that I face throughout the day. The Calcium is pretty clear. The magnesium is my soul because is needed for more than 300 biochemical reactions in the body. It helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, keeps heart rhythm steady, supports a healthy immune system, and keeps bones strong. The Multi-V is my second soul because without it I would surely be sick and undernourished all of the time instead of just some of the time. And the b-vitamines are to help with all the other normal body fuctions and hair growth and chemical management.


I am really learning how to take care of myself, I now just need to find out if my online vitamin store will ship to Turkey.

4 comments:

Billusionisto said...

http://fanaticcook.blogspot.com/2009/10/can-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil.html

I'm sure you've gotten this advice already, but from somebody who used to take a LOT of supplements, let me just say, be careful. I just got over suffering from an electrolyte imbalance because of my varying intake of supplements. I was taking a multivitamin, calcium+D, saw palmetto, Reishi/Lingzhi mushroom (I'd check that one out. Very highly reputed in Chinese herbology, and I've been reading some pretty amazing studies done on it investigating its anti-inflammatory/cancer/viral/bacterial properties), flax seed oil, soy isoflavones, black cohosh, as well as Adderall and Propecia. I weaned myself off all the phytoestrogens as I realized it would still be a while before I could get ahold of some estrogen, but even with the remaining supplements, I ended up getting wickedly imbalanced. My legs started aching and tingling, I started getting some minor heart palpitations...it was bad. (Drinking didn't help either, lol.)

Basically, the Mg, Ca, Na, K electrolyte balance got screwed up. Guess I avoided some nerve damage, but it had me laid up for about a week so I couldn't exercise.

My doctor has told me that, basically, that if one is to opt to take supplements, one should try to stretch them out as much as possible. He suggested just taking half a multi vitamin a day, or even half twice a day. It is mostly the lack of homeostasis (or the increased attempt to maintain it) that is dangerous about supplements, and so if intake is spread out more instead of being exposed to a bunch of chemicals all at once, the body is better able to efficiently absorb them and not have to deal with a wild fluctuation in blood levels of whatevers.

Blah blah blah. You get it. If it works for you, keep it up, but make sure you can do it continuously!

GLHF. Oh, and that link to the blog at the top...that's a pretty interesting health blog. I'd recommend it.

N.J. said...

This is true, and I did take your post into consideration. But I litterally can not eat anything in the natural world, and what I can eat doesn't usually process well in my stomach so my family physician has regulated my supplement intake for a very long time now.

I have reminder clocks to tell me when to take things, so that way I don't forget and get off in my balances. So far, so good.

I hope this continues to be true.

Bests!
-Nik

Billusionisto said...

Very good! Hope my comment wasn't seen as condescending. You know, we folk gotta look out for each other!

So, let's see...what about probiotics? My mom and myself have had much luck with those in regards to stomach issues. Also, papain? Aka "papaya enzyme". Helps to digest stuff.

Oh, and I've become a huge advocate of Yerba Prima. I've had SO much luck with it! That particular product is the male version. They have a female version as well, but I figure there isn't much of a difference in the core of it. Their "secret" is Bentoninte clay, and I gotta say, it's worked wonders for my guts. They set it up as a 30-60 day "cleanse", but I sort of take it at a lower dose on a semi-regular basis, and it helps everything. When I first started taking it, I followed the directions exactly for the "heavy cleanse" (7 capsules, morning and evening) and I actually lost some weight (in addition to proper eating and exercise: I was trying to lose weight at the time). My partner even noticed a visible increase in my muscle definition within a week of starting it. I thought I was just seeing things, but it was apparently happening!

Kinda freaky, though...makes me wonder just how many toxins were floating around all up in me that every portion of my skin was affected!

Much pce!
B

N.J. said...

I understand.

Probiotics are really awesome things. I wish that I took them more often. My first year I was on a detox for a few months, but since then I haven't taken any. I eat Soy Yogurt with live cultures, and hummus with some too.

We all do have a lot of toxins pumping through us. I try not to eat hydrogenated foods and packaged things, it seems to help.