You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Saturday, November 21, 2009

Theatre and my mesmerization

The first time I saw a Theatre piece preformed I was mesmerized. The actors left the space that I could see, and I was sure that they went through doors that lead to fields and more rooms. Of course this way my feeble child mind with an overactive imagination. Backstage spaces were completely foreign and abstract for me.

Now I live for the dark corners, blue run lights, and precariously placed tables filled with props and bread and other things to make a living on the black stage.

I am not sure that I can live without Theatre, even though it also kills me. I've spent 52 hours in the department this week alone, and I have a show and strike tomorrow. This will add another 7 hours to my count. I think though, that this will be the last time that I work for the department this way. I can't handle the stress and laundry and lack of departmental support. I understand that it's a paid position and I decided I wanted to be there, but this doesn't take away from how hard it is. I don't even think the actors, other technicians, and stage management, let alone the director pay any attention to the level of dedication and time spent of costumes.

I awe at costume changes, and thought out pieces when I am watching a show. I know that when something breaks someone spends time to fix it. I wish that everyone knew that, and respected that.

Main Stage theatre is not my thing anymore. Professional Theatre never will be. I am actually not sure after Grinnell if Theatre will continue to be in my life. Maybe it is just a hobby for me, and not my passion or my life.

No comments: