You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

3 Days of Christmas

My old German-Irish family does Christmas right with 3 days of festivities. That is enough to make even the happiest of holiday goers a bit drab. I am not sure how the Irish celebrate the holidays, but the Germans start off Christmas Eve by blocking off the living room so that the 'Christkind' can come in a spread his holiday magic. I remember that I sung songs and read stories to the living room door, because it was tradition.

My family doesn't do holidays that way, but Christmas Eve has always been for food and presents. Christmas day and the day after Christmas have always been for food and family and many stories. As the years have gone by, and my parents have gotten divorced we've shifted the holidays a little and now Christmas Eve is spent with one family, while Christmas day is spent with the other. And now the day after Christmas has become a dark day that is no longer talked about much.

This year is a little bit different. Christmas eve will be spent at my mum's house with food and gift exchanging and many a Christmas movie (I am sure). Then Christmas day will be spent with family and friends in Chicago, of course with lots of food. The day after Christmas will be spent at my dad's with my sisters and brothers and, of course, food.

The holidays have shifted a lot over the years, and I've never been one to like Christmas but I think this year gets a close to how Christmas was when I was little as any since my parents divorce. I hate to be all nostalgic about it, but I loved the good old traditional Christmas of my childhood. Even though I believe Christmas has become an excuse for consumerism and price raises, it is still a time for individuals to get together.

As I get older, I can't help but think when I have a family someday I am going to do this Christmas thing entirely different. But who knows, maybe I will have a tree and the three days of Christmas complete with the ham and beef. Or maybe I will have a great vegan holiday with meditation, incents and Buddha's birthday in mind. Or maybe after spending time in Africa I will decide that Kwanza is really the holiday for me.

Until then I wish everybody a happy and safe holiday, with much food and merriment.

No comments: