You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Sweet Vegan

the book "La Dolce Vegan: vegan livin' made easy" is my new favrorite cookbook. It lives on my desk between "The Vegan lunchbox" and a huge ethnography of African Literature. The writer of La Dolce is Sarah Kramer and she is perhaps the most interesting woman to ever write a vegan cookbook ever. With facial piercings, quickly graying curly hair, and tattooes up her arms Kramer is an activist, whole likes the ordinary, and knows that change is good and can cause inspiration. The seal of the book could be summed up with one phrase KISS - keep it simple stupid. her goal, "is to make veganism fun, accessible, and easy. But most importantly - to make it taste good."

I have an obsession with cookbooks but lately I have only bought vegan based book. This is one of the best decisions I have made. Although I am still eating small amounts of dairy in the dinning hall, when I cook at home I am eating vegan 99% of the time.

Of course I have a few exceptions including honey, but this is compensated by the fact that I buy local honey from a farmer who is working on honey bee presevation. I couldn't not buy his honey when I know him by name. I also buy local yogurt, because the cultures are good for my sensitive stomach and again it is from a local farm. I may never be 100% vegan but I do like the idea of working on it.

In the words of Kramer, "it's a new veginning, my friends. Let's see where it takes us!"
and now a recipe from Sarah

Hissing Cousins Oat Bread
2 cups rolled oat flakes
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp oil
2 cups "milk"

Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly oil a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the oats, flower, baking powder, and salt.
Add the maple syrup, oil, and "milk" and gently stir the dough until just mixes.
Pour evenly into loaf pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean
makes 1 loaf

I sub the syrup of honey, making it agian not vegan but delicious. I also use my homemade rice milk for the "milk" she calls for.
ENJOY

No comments: