You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Monday, December 1, 2008

Rice Milk


Have you ever wanted an easy vegan milk substitute that doesn't involve pricey shopping bills? I know that on a College budget I couldn't buy soy/rice milk on a regular basis because it was just too expensive to buy in small enough quantity to keep in my room.

Making my own rice milk seemed like the easiest and most efficient solution to my "dairy" needs.

This is what I do for a big batch
7-8 cups of water (free from Grinnell taps)
1 cup brown short grain rice (.25 c)
(cook this for 6-8 hours in a slow cooker
or 3 hours on a low set stove top)

add
1/2 cup sugar (.10 c)
1 tsp kelp powder (negligible)
2 tsp vanilla (negligible)

then blend the whole mixture until very smooth and jar.

I made different amounts from time to time depending if I plan of doing a lot of baking or not before the milk is to be made again. I keep my milk about a week and a half but I am sure it would last longer if I didn't use it that quickly.

also I got the kelp powder at a local health food store where she keeps it in bulk, it was .70 c for a small baggy. I am not sure how much I got to begin with but I still have plenty left over.

Good luck, and happy cooking

No comments: