You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Sunday, December 7, 2008

crossed... uncrossed

Grinnellians young and old graduated and preparing to graduate have the roughly the same opinion about the second year at Grinnell.
It just sort of jumps out at you when you didn't expect it too, and really knocks you on your ass. By the time you stand up again it is over and you are much better prepared for your final 2 years at the school. -summary of former second year students
By this time I am just 3 short weeks away from being half way through the treacherous 2nd year. And Grinnellians were right, everything did stack up against me and knock me on my ass. I must say though that I pulled it back together really well, with some help, in the last few weeks. And I have again began to live purposefully.

My yoga mat had been gathering dust for a large part of the Semester, but in recent past I have been reconnecting with my body through this form of exercise and meditation. I have been stretching my body in order to feel all of its parts. It has been a journey for me to learn how to feel my inner thighs and lower back mussels loosen and release the tensions they have been holding. I have been practicing a newer form of American yoga that really focuses on holding poses creating both strength and flexibility in areas that are "harder to reach" These are areas of cartilage and not just mussel mass.

With this practice I have been able to fall into meditation more rapidly and deeply even in my own dorm room which can often lead to distractions. Last semester I spent most of my meditation and yoga time within the chapel meaning I was less frequent in my practice because it was not always convenient or available.

But truly my new founding living with purpose is reflecting on how I carry my body, and posture. Many have often remarked on how straight I sit, but I have found much room for improvement in the sitting style.

For example: crossed or uncrosses? By this I mean my legs. It is unhealthy for the circulatory system to sit with crossed legs for very long. It also causes your posture to stoop and you spine to curve ever so slightly putting tension on mussels in you back. Although at the time it doesn't feel bad to sit with crossed legs, over a longer period this simple act can have its toll on the way the back mussels carry your spine.

Therefore my new goal in life is to live an uncrossed lifestyle! It is of course much easier said than done while old habits die hard.

In the future I will attempt to keep my regular habits of yoga and meditation going, but I can make no promises not even to myself.

No comments: