You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Can I have a push on the swing


The man that I call my father did not actually meet me until I was 1 year old. He flew out to Washington (the state) for my first birthday party. It was his first and last time on a plane. He did this because he was head over heels in love with my mother and myself. That man will still do anything for me, and I love him from the bottom of my heart. Nothing ties me to him but the memories and emotions of growing up. Legally we do not belong to each other any more than I belong to my cat. Yet I call him my father, and he calls me his daughter and I call his children my siblings although only one of them is. To be perfectly honest I am one of two children. My lone brother is my half brother. The rest of my 4, almost 5 siblings are not traditionally my relatives. I wouldn't give any of them up for the whole of Europe though.

tonight as I walked home the four swings outside of the JRC were looming in the darkness. I could see them well in the light pollution of street lamps and the big blue "foryourpersonalysafty" tower. Also known as the Emergency light. I knew the seats of the swing were cold and wet. I was slightly chilly myself but I decided to put my bag down on the sidewalk and have a bit of a swing.

As I glidded through the cold air and the swing creeked under my weight and from the friction of each swing I though about my father. A brief run of warmth passed over me when I slipped into the memory of going to the park. My father didn't often take me to the park, because he has a fear of social interation and public places. To be honest I am not sure how he funtions in a work environment with his anxiety. On this particular day though I was 6 years old and I had asked to go to the park. My brother was sick and my other two sisters were with their mom. My mother looked at me as if she was going to fall over. Before she could turn me down though my dad said that he would take me, so we went. There are very few memorys of just my dad and I. I cherish each one that I have. I am happy to share this one with you though.

No comments: