You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Hey, PICNIC!

Today I met three men on the train to Chicago. This was at the prime hour of 8 am. They were the nice sort. I ended up in the empty inside seat, next to the oldest of the men while the two slightly younger were directly across the aisle. The first topic of conversations was questioning my large picnic basket. I got onto the train with only the basket and a backpack. I explained to them I was having a picnic with a friend, who I was meeting in Chicago and we were going to enjoy the weather and each other's company together. The questioned the contents as I took my breakfast cereal and soymilk out of the basket. And quickly decided I was a healthy eater, and would live a long and joyful life. We all got on very well. Talked a bit about school and my major. They told me what they did in life. Then we all fell into a train routine and I played my sudoku until we got to union station, with the occasional side conversation with the men.

On the train back from Chicago, I ran into the 3 old cubs fans again. I heard one of them say, Hey look it's picnic! look guys, it's picnic! I of course was responding to the NIK part of picnic when I turned and look at them. They had spent their day in the ball park and as I went to buy a clear carbonated beverage they were in the dining car drinking a beer, all save the older one. They asked me how my picnic went I ended up sitting down with the old men and exchanging some more words while I drank my beverage. Two of them were a bit drunk, and the older companion apologized for them, but I didn't mind. They asked me if I was a hiker, because I looked like one. And then gave me tips on great hiking places, and places to go before I die. We talked some more about my ducktape wallet. I'm a little embarassed because I've had it 5 years, and really think I should move up to a big person wallet, but it's just so damn useful and still in once piece. After I finished my drink I left the old men to their beers. When I left one of the men asked it he could call me, picnic. I said sure, having never told them my real name. I will forever be the girl with many dreams and the picnic basket to them.

I am okay with this.

No comments: