You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Monday, August 17, 2009

No more airplanes for this Tranny

Begining on Wednesday airlines are adding more boxes for the American people to check. Including Birth date and Sex. This comes at a time where the Department of Homeland Security is taking over the responsibility of checking airline passengers names with those of watch list. I understand birthdays being a reasonable request, but asking someone to give up their sex is another question entirely.

I don't feel the federal government and the airlines have the right to ask for my sex when it's already posted all over my drivers license. Many transgender individuals already have enough trouble flying if their sex doesn't match up with their gender or if they haven't legaly gone through a name change or opperation. Even for those individuals who are postop and legally "registered" their sex still changes as they cross certian state lines as they are not legally recognized as MTF or FTM in all states.

How so are we going to check the M or F box. This is another gendered America and I will not be on an aircraft for some extended period of time. I don't check the M or F box even at the doctors office so why would I do it when getting on a plane.

Time to write more letters to my senetor!


Read more at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/12/AR2009081203000.html?referrer=facebook

1 comment:

Nicki Aya said...

Yeah ... There's been talk of that for a while. I'll probably just bring my letter of safe passage with (states that I am in full mental health, and should be treated as the woman I am, and some other stuff). And then just check female I guess ... But I'm suprised they're asking specifically for "sex" and not "gender" because you know how everyone is afraid to use the word sex these days, so pick something that doesn't mean sex !

I'd say have a note from your doctor, see if maybe you could be changed to an X marker, and show the airlines "ha!" and see if they let you fly ;-)

I'm already in a predicament because I will be flying to Germany in two years ... And my passport will probably still say male ... But I'm looking into some loopholes, since I'm going to finish the name change process in October and try to get my gender changed then too ...