You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Monday, August 17, 2009

Person I Once Knew

I ran into PIOK today at the Library. It was nice to see him, he's doing well for himself. I hadn't talked to him since graduation. Although, I remember his first day at Kewanee High School two weeks into my Sophomore year I wanted to be his friend. He was a large black man with a heart of gold and a voice that killed me.

I am happy that I had PIOK as my friend through high school. He'd traveled the world coming from a Navy family and was the sweetest friend I could ask for.

These day's he goes to school for Psychology and Music. Wanting to get a Masters and a PhD. His goal is to work in correctional facilities with young men. I wanted to cry today when I saw him. I didn't. He's making something of his life, and I am happy.

I wish I still know PIOK.

No comments: