You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Obama and the HRC

Question proposed to me today by a professor:
What do you think of the HRC speech?


My Answer:
First off you have to understand my complete and deep rooted hate and dissatisfaction with the Human Rights Campaign. In the last 5 years the HRC has pulled all funding and support for the transgender community. This started with pulling their only trans board member out of public policy and agenda making. She retaliated by defaulting her contract and leaving the campaign. Since then the HRC has be unresponsive to trans policy and non-discrimination acts based on gender. I would go as far to say that they actively are hurting the trans gender movement. They would much rather focus on big ticket policy that will make them money, instead of "grassroots" activism which has no place in public policy.

HRC started as a grassroots organization and has since grown into the largest Gay and Lesbian supported organization working on policy and rights in the United States. Unfortunately, they do only focus on gay and lesbian rights, pushing many more marginal groups into nearly helpless situations.

I was happy that they invited President Obama to speak, but I also see it as one more big ticket buy that the HRC is pulling. It saddens me that something like human rights can become so politically driven that the less desirable and marginal groups within the movement are forgotten. To me this seems like a deconstruction of community and the larger queer movement. I hope that Obama can change the "don't ask don't tell" policy but I think it will do very little for the movement entirely. I also am very happy to see the president moving on this front so quickly seeing as it was the only "queer" promise in his entire campaign (which I still find disheartening). I hope that things continue to change and that human rights can be exhibited throughout ever aspect of life and politics. I understand the President's reasoning to speak for the HRC, but I can't support them because I can not support the HRC in any form. Also the fetishizing of Matthew Shepherd continues to upset me because so many more queer and even trans people have died since that time that no one ever cares to mention. I can not help but hate the way media is played and in turn used against us. Also Obama is focusing mostly on the gay and lesbian issue, including maybe some more queers because of new hate crime legislation. This legislation, though, still only focuses on sexual orientation. The whole gender and trans issue is left out of the game. I can not support change until it supports me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tsk tsk....Matt Shepherd was a pretty white gay cis boy. I mean, it's not like anyone has been brutally murdered for being queer or transgender since they killed that pretty white gay boy 10 years ago.

Your heart doesn't seem as black as mine, so you may not take the same pleasure I did when I saw on MSNBC that the Obama administration publicly dismissed all of the HRC-sexuals at the Big Gay March yesterday as part of a negligible "fringe" he intends to ignore.

I hope Joe Solomnese and the gang enjoy being ignored and scorned the way their despicable organization has scorned transgender people.

Great post!

xoxoxo

EM