You don't have to run to know what resistance feels like

Monday, May 11, 2009

Thoughts on the meaning on 1917

Is this 1917???

This is not a topic that I can easily answer for you. It seems throughout my conscious life ideas, themes, people, and numerology have all pointed me back to the year 1917. Some of these instances have been less pronounced than others, and a few I have probably forgotten all together. Still other are a stretch to make coherent connections.

Yet, 1917 is important to me and will probably always remain so.

For all of you curious cats, I will try to formulate some of the more pronounced 1917 moments of my life so you can also see why I choose this idea as my inspiration.

(1) Amelia Earhart the woman who piloted the first solo female trans-atlantic flight, the first female cross county flight, the first female trans-pacific flight and many other solo female flights was 20 years old in 1917. If there ever was a women I could spend the rest of my life with, it was Amelia! I dream of going back in time and making her fall head over heels for me even if it means a set back in feminism. I wouldn’t say it is worth it, and I will be the first to admit it is selfish but if I had the choice I would probably take it.

(2) My second semester of College after one of my major breakdowns I went to meet with a professor about a horrible paper I had written. The paper was due the Monday after my G-Mons performance and I had totally blanked on it. Meaning I begged for an extension and out of sheer luck got 7 more glorious days to write it. Obviously I pushed it off until the Saturday night before the Monday morning it was due. Oops! When in his office we talked about focus a lot, because he said the paper was lacking a strong focus (this was mostly because I hadn’t really read the play [it was tech week!] and defiantly hadn’t understood the major themes). This story ends in my professor using the example of costume designing a play you would want to set in 1917. I did not prompt him to use this exact year, but there it was. He said the words, “and then you have to ask yourself, is this 1917 enough. Keep asking yourself that over and over again. Is this 1917 enough.” Needless to say, I freaked out and now I continuously need to know... is this 1917 enough (or is this 1917 at all!)

(3) 1917 was a year that started on a Monday. This is not anything special to anyone else, but it meant a 3 day weekend for those who observe the 1st as a holiday. The 1st is the Buddhist day to meditate for world peace - and I think it is ironic and amazing to do this on a monday.
In 1917 the first International Woman’s Day was celebrated in Russia, a huge step for this country!

(4) This is during WWI, and this is the year that the USA cuts of relations with Germany (Germany continues to spiral down after this move)

(5) J.R.R. Tolkien begins writing the original books of the lost tales, this begins the idea and story of Middle Earth. We all know how this ends.

(6) Splitting up 1-9-1-7 gives you some interesting number stuffs. My favorite beiing based off the joke “why is 10 afraid of 7. Because 7. 8. 9.”
In this example: 7+1=8 9+1=10 read together I hear 7. 8. 9. 10. This also make more sense to me than anyone else because I tend to read words backwards because of my dyslexia.

(7) Lastly did you know that daylight savings time was first introduced in the UK during the year 1917. Think how different we would function without daylight savings time today.

No comments: